Roleplay 1000 Wands of World Wrecking Wonder IC

FriedCFour

PunishedCFour
Founder
Joined
Aug 11, 2019
Reaction score
5,095
Location
Mother Roof
It's late fall, and Barleyville's annual harvest festival has been beginning with a hitch. Homemade ales are sold at bargain, the pastries of the Dougherty family bakery are being swept up by young children, and games of chance are played by all. While much is the same of every year, this time there is a special guest not often seen by the town. The Wizard Gambledorf, who has been seen every few years, passing mysteriously and parting with a few displays of magic or various inquiries into children to check for magical talent, has set himself up with a cart carrying multiple barrels and is weaving a tale that captivates several. You manage to catch the last half of it, as you push your way through the crowd.

"And so, I offer to anyone willing to take up the offer this. A hefty sum of one thousand gold pieces will be paid to any who complete the task of testing each of these wands. Upon completion, you will return them to us at the Frogquartz board of directors, having catalogued each and every effect. These require targets however, and you must be willing to leave your home, to explore and adventure and discover more about both the wider world around you and yourself. But you will not be sent alone. These wands have wondrous magical effects and will protect and guide you on your journey. Allow me to demonstrate their power."

With that, Gambledorf fishes a wand from the barrel, and with a poof of magic produces a toad, and uses the wand on it. It splatters, but with no immediate effect noticed beyond that. With that Gambledorf says, "now, what say you?"

There is a pause among the crowd, and a voice calls out, "that's it? Man, what a terrible magic show this year." With that, most of the crowd begins to disperse and find their way to other stalls and fancies for entertainment, with grumbles of a bad light show this year and how seeing a frog die was bad for the kids. With the crowd gone, you remain among the sole few members still around Gambledorf as he mutters something to himself and begins to pack up his things. What do you do?
 
Last edited:

Grav

A confused leftist
Joined
Aug 31, 2019
Reaction score
510
Location
WA, U.S.A.
It's late fall, and Barleyville's annual harvest festival has been beginning with a hitch. Homemade ales are sold at bargain, the pastries of the Dougherty family bakery are being swept up by young children, and games of chance are played by all. While much is the same of every year, this time there is a special guest not often seen by the town. The Wizard Gambledolf, who has been seen every few years by the town, passing mysteriously and parting with a few displays of magic or various inquiries into children to check for magical talent, has set himself up with a cart carrying multiple barrels and is weaving a tale that captivates several. You manage to catch the last half of it, as you push your way through the crowd.

"And so, I offer to anyone willing to take up the offer this. A hefty sum of one thousand gold pieces will be paid to any who complete the task of testing each of these wands. Upon completion, you will return them to us at the Frogquartz board of directors, having catalogued each and every effect. These require targets however, and you must be willing to leave your home, to explore and adventure and discover more about both the wider world around you and yourself. But you will not be sent alone. These wands have wondrous magical effects and will protect and guide you on your journey. Allow me to demonstrate their power."

With that, Gambledorf fishes a wand from the barrel, and with a poof of magic produces a toad, and uses the wand on it. It splatters, but with no immediate effect noticed beyond that. With that Gambledorf says, "now, what say you?"

There is a pause among the crowd, and a voice calls out, "that's it? Man, what a terrible magic show this year." With that, most of the crowd begins to disperse and find their way to other stalls and fancies for entertainment, with grumbles of a bad light show this year and how seeing a frog die was bad for the kids. With the crowd gone, you remain among the sole few members still around Gambledorf as he mutters something to himself and begins to pack up his things. What do you do?
Varrys had finally finished closing up the library to visit the harvest festival. He bought some of the ales to stock up his pantry and those meat pies were smelling mighty good.

His gold pouch light and stomach full he saw Gambledorf packing up. When asking around the crowd and learning of the prize, Varrys knew it was his chance.

“Gambledorf! Give me sum lot of those wands. I’ll test ‘em our for y’a!”
 

FriedCFour

PunishedCFour
Founder
Joined
Aug 11, 2019
Reaction score
5,095
Location
Mother Roof
Varrys had finally finished closing up the library to visit the harvest festival. He bought some of the ales to stock up his pantry and those meat pies were smelling mighty good.

His gold pouch light and stomach full he saw Gambledorf packing up. When asking around the crowd and learning of the prize, Varrys knew it was his chance.

“Gambledorf! Give me sum lot of those wands. I’ll test ‘em our for y’a!”
Gambledorf peaks up at this, standing up at his full near 2 meter height, pointed blue brimmed hat taking him to three. He brushes his matching robes down, smiles widely through his grey beard and says "Certainly, it is nice to see someone who has adventure at heart. Still, unless others can be found, I must move east to Bridgeton and see if others there will take up the call."
 
Last edited:

Abyssgazer

Failed Inventor of the Banana Gun
Joined
Aug 11, 2019
Reaction score
161
What do you do?
Legs bent in his squatting position the large lizard Boris tilted his head back with the wineskin filled with his bogwine gulping down the vinegary fluid, the precious substance had turned as the tribes hadn't the means to age it. The disappointing magic show only reinforced the boredom of the bog.

Not that you aged bogwine, the stuff was awful, disgusting and the divine ambrosia of vinegary release as it numbed the mind.

In the dirt the dull scratched the ground thinking, slowly count off his fingers and restarting a few times from his inebriated state, lifting a finger at a time.

6... 7... 8... hitting eight he had to paused as he tilted his head further back so his wineskin wouldn't fall from his mouth as he lifted another finger.

9...

Where he was stumped again struggle to continue his count until he remembered his tail and thumped the ground with it.

10!

Yes, that was much gold, the tribe could drink cheap beer for months with that.

Swallowing down a burning mouthful of bogwine he rose from his menacing squatting to approach the wizard Gambledorf. "Man of the pointed hat and terror, Boris will take the wands for the great treasure offered to use them!"
 

Draco

Adida
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Reaction score
257
Hastria had been wandering through the crowds at the festival without aim. She would have forgotten it, were it not for the clamor of the town preparing over the past few days. She did not go out during the day's festivities; it was a small miracle that she had come out at all, the sun's setting marking her appearance among the small throngs of peasantfolk. Memories of happier times had spurred her on, a vain hope to recapture those moments passed and bring them to the dreary present. And yet...

It didn't feel right, to celebrate on her own. It was as though someone were missing from her side...multiple someones. She and her father were reclusive creatures by nature, but her mother always convinced them to come out for the festivities. She loved them so, a love that always proved infectious. Not a festival went by with the three of them where they did not enjoy themselves. But now...

Now, even Gambledorf's show did little to lighten her demeanor; it had always been her favorite part, the few times he had decided to appear. Such wondrous tricks and light shows. But this year she felt nothing from it, a fact made worse by the "performance" making the old man appear as some sort of grifter. As if a snake oil salesman had taken the wizard's hat and robe and was using his visage to pawn his wares. A squashed frog was a cheap parlor trick, she doubted he even needed the wand for it.

Disappointed and no less morose than before, Hastria started making her way back to the empty shop, another lonely night in sto-
“Gambledorf! Give me sum lot of those wands. I’ll test ‘em our for y’a!”
"Man of the pointed hat and terror, Boris will take the wands for the great treasure offered to use them!"
"Varrys? Whatever are you thinking?"

She made her way over to the stand, somewhat shocked that an intelligent man such as him would be so willing to jump at this.

"And Boris! You as we-"

And then the smell of bogwine hit her full force.




Ah. She should've expected as much.
 

Grav

A confused leftist
Joined
Aug 31, 2019
Reaction score
510
Location
WA, U.S.A.
Hastria had been wandering through the crowds at the festival without aim. She would have forgotten it, were it not for the clamor of the town preparing over the past few days. She did not go out during the day's festivities; it was a small miracle that she had come out at all, the sun's setting marking her appearance among the small throngs of peasantfolk. Memories of happier times had spurred her on, a vain hope to recapture those moments passed and bring them to the dreary present. And yet...

It didn't feel right, to celebrate on her own. It was as though someone were missing from her side...multiple someones. She and her father were reclusive creatures by nature, but her mother always convinced them to come out for the festivities. She loved them so, a love that always proved infectious. Not a festival went by with the three of them where they did not enjoy themselves. But now...

Now, even Gambledorf's show did little to lighten her demeanor; it had always been her favorite part, the few times he had decided to appear. Such wondrous tricks and light shows. But this year she felt nothing from it, a fact made worse by the "performance" making the old man appear as some sort of grifter. As if a snake oil salesman had taken the wizard's hat and robe and was using his visage to pawn his wares. A squashed frog was a cheap parlor trick, she doubted he even needed the wand for it.

Disappointed and no less morose than before, Hastria started making her way back to the empty shop, another lonely night in sto-


"Varrys? Whatever are you thinking?"

She made her way over to the stand, somewhat shocked that an intelligent man such as him would be so willing to jump at this.

"And Boris! You as we-"

And then the smell of bogwine hit her full force.




Ah. She should've expected as much.
“Ma chance at learning more of the arcane. Studied for five years and I’ve only got the basics, check this here.”

*cast prestidigitation to create small flames at the tips of Varrys’ fingers.*
 

Draco

Adida
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Reaction score
257
“Ma chance at learning more of the arcane. Studied for five years and I’ve only got the basics, check this here.”

*cast prestidigitation to create small flames at the tips of Varrys’ fingers.*
"You would so easily forfeit your place at the library? Who would tend it in your absence?"
 

Grav

A confused leftist
Joined
Aug 31, 2019
Reaction score
510
Location
WA, U.S.A.
"You would so easily forfeit your place at the library? Who would tend it in your absence?"
“I’m testing these at the library. Why would I leave my home. Chance of a lifetime to study these.”
 

⚕⚕⚕

Three-character minimum.
Joined
Aug 12, 2019
Reaction score
90
For this young dwarf, today was a day just like many others. Even if it was a day of festivities, it was still the same as that of one year prior. And the year before that one, and so on and so forth. The fledgling Granitebeard let out a morose sigh as he sat behind a low wooden counter, minding his cousin's mushroom stall. He'd lost a drinking contest to the older man and now he was stuck here for the next several hours while his cousin tried to sow his oats among the lassies . . . not that he would have been any less bored if he was out there mingling with the townsfolk. Sure there would be plenty of ale — some of which he'd helped brew, so he knew how good it was — as well as all kinds of meat pies, fruit tarts, and sweetmeats, and no doubt he'd have a cute lassie with a neatly-braided beard hanging off his arm by the end of the night, but . . .

He could not help but resent the duty and honor that bound him to this town, to the forges of his ancestors, and kept him from following his dreams. How he longed to exchange his smith's hammer for a proper warhammer, and bash in the head of a dirty goblin instead of the head of a nail! But there were no goblins or any other kinds of vermin near Barleyville, and so he clung to the stories told by wandering bards and travelers. Poor sustenance for a boy with a head filled with nonsensical fantasies of adventure and glory, but it was all he had!
"And so, I offer to anyone willing to take up the offer this. A hefty sum of one thousand gold pieces will be paid to any who complete the task of testing each of these wands. Upon completion, you will return them to us . . ."
But, wait — that voice!

He recognized that mighty tone, which so easily conjured scenes of mystery and wonder. The great Wizard Gambledore hadn't come around for the past few years, but he fondly recalled the fireworks and magical lights from the Wizard's last visit. But there was no point in going — he'd watched the show multiple times already, and even though it grew grander and grander from year to year his own feelings had become more and more embroiled in turmoil.

There was not a single drop of magical aptitude in his body. He'd asked the Wizard to check some decades ago, and the result had been sorely disappointing. No talent for discerning the mysteries of the arcane, no spirits clinging to his soul, no ancient awakened bloodline, no divine favor, no eldritch horrors looking over his shoulder, no mysterious heirlooms. And so every exhibition was a reminder that such a convenient ticket to adventure was denied to him.

He was minding the stall, anyway. And because of a lost wager to boot! It wouldn't be proper to dishonor that —
". . . you must be willing to leave your home, to explore and adventure and discover more about both the wider world around you and yourself."
The stool clattered to the ground, and a basket of mushrooms went flying.

No one would ever expect a dwarf to move so fast on those stubby little legs, but by the time the dust had settled young Bierstout was already around the corner. The moment he had heard Gambledorf's literal 'call to adventure', there was nothing else to consider. This was his once-in-a-lifetime chance to leave behind his humdrum life and handed-down responsibilities, and by all the gods of forges and hops he wasn't going to let it slip through his fingers!
“Gambledorf! Give me sum lot of those wands. I’ll test ‘em our for y’a!”
"Man of the pointed hat and terror, Boris will take the wands for the great treasure offered to use them!"
"Certainly, it is nice to see someone who has adventure at heart. Still, unless others can be found, I must move east to Bridgeton and see if others there will take up the call."
"Great Wizard, sir!" A powerful voice bellowed from an alley between some stalls.

They were treated to the sight of a rather short and wide figure — a dwarf — dashing through the dispersing crowd, dodging confused townsfolk as he made a beeline towards the Wizard. His face was already red from exertion — or perhaps excitement — and by the time he reached the wagons he looked fit to burst, taking deep breaths as he tried to compose himself.

"I shall gladly join your adventure! Whatever needs to be done, I'm your dwarf!" he finally half-stated half-shouted, with an expression of someone who knew he should be a little embarrassed at causing a scene but was in fact completely unashamed, if not totally blind to anything else going on around him.
 

Grav

A confused leftist
Joined
Aug 31, 2019
Reaction score
510
Location
WA, U.S.A.
"Did you not hear the wizard say that we must leave our homes to test these things? He would have us venture out into the wilds to play at being wizards!"
“I must have missed that. Hmm. Got it, I’ll just close it while gone, or one of me friends could watch it for me.”
 

Abyssgazer

Failed Inventor of the Banana Gun
Joined
Aug 11, 2019
Reaction score
161
"And Boris! You as we-"

And then the smell of bogwine hit her full force.

Ah. She should've expected as much.
Squatting once more as he resumed the holy pose that the dwarf who'd bestowed upon his tribe the gift of alcohol, Boris scratched his chin with one of his claws as he ponder his reply to the hatchling of the softskin whom sold the remedies of illness.

"To be away from the soft lands one sinks into water, where insects and fish bite sun high or during the moon's watch does bring joy to Boris." He pondered aloud with his bogwine laced breath, before licking his lips. "However, the heavy shiny metal means Boris could taste the heights of the arts of the Dwarf Boris for many sunrises."

He practically salivated over the memory of the time he'd been given a flagon of good beer rather than the brews he made with whatever would ferment into a alcoholic beverage in the tribes swamp.
 

Hlaalu Agent

Nerevar going to let you down
Founder
Sotnik
Joined
Aug 11, 2019
Reaction score
2,640
Location
Rethan Manor
Theodoric had helped his master close up, and left independently to get to the fair. Though he was a scholar and a man of intellect and enjoyed the finer things in life and loftier pursuits, he still enjoyed the simple things and could appreciate them. And he could also visit with his friends and family, maybe even check in on the gaggle of nephews and nieces and if he wanted to spoil the tykes mercilessly. It was as he approached the fair, that he heard that shyster selling some spiel about wands. He didn't have much against the man, but wouldn't trust him as far as he could throw him, or even a quarter as far as a halfling could for that matter. His shows were somewhat entertaining, and he could amuse himself by trying to figure out how he did it. The offer of gold was interesting, but it was dubious and he agreed with Hastria, perhaps though there might be a way to get an advantage from it? He scratched his chin, while contemplating this matter.

"Yes, this is does seem dubious to me. Though, my master wouldn't do anything if he though the risk was not worth it. Wouldn't you?" he replied, actually unsure if his master would do something that was...imprudent.

@Draco @GravitysMomentum
 

Grav

A confused leftist
Joined
Aug 31, 2019
Reaction score
510
Location
WA, U.S.A.
Theodoric had helped his master close up, and left independently to get to the fair. Though he was a scholar and a man of intellect and enjoyed the finer things in life and loftier pursuits, he still enjoyed the simple things and could appreciate them. And he could also visit with his friends and family, maybe even check in on the gaggle of nephews and nieces and if he wanted to spoil the tykes mercilessly. It was as he approached the fair, that he heard that shyster selling some spiel about wands. He didn't have much against the man, but wouldn't trust him as far as he could throw him, or even a quarter as far as a halfling could for that matter. His shows were somewhat entertaining, and he could amuse himself by trying to figure out how he did it. The offer of gold was interesting, but it was dubious and he agreed with Hastria, perhaps though there might be a way to get an advantage from it? He scratched his chin, while contemplating this matter.

"Yes, this is does seem dubious to me. Though, my master wouldn't do anything if he though the risk was not worth it. Wouldn't you?" he replied, actually unsure if his master would do something that was...imprudent.

@Draco @GravitysMomentum
The fae ancestry on Varrys’ face showed.

“I need to partake in a challenge every once in a while. Some new material will help with sending a report back to the Assembly.”
 

Draco

Adida
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Reaction score
257
Squatting once more as he resumed the holy pose that the dwarf who'd bestowed upon his tribe the gift of alcohol, Boris scratched his chin with one of his claws as he ponder his reply to the hatchling of the softskin whom sold the remedies of illness.

"To be away from the soft lands one sinks into water, where insects and fish bite sun high or during the moon's watch does bring joy to Boris." He pondered aloud with his bogwine laced breath, before licking his lips. "However, the heavy shiny metal means Boris could taste the heights of the arts of the Dwarf Boris for many sunrises."

He practically salivated over the memory of the time he'd been given a flagon of good beer rather than the brews he made with whatever would ferment into a alcoholic beverage in the tribes swamp.
"You lizards and your alcohol. If you used even half of the time you spent drinking on something productive, you might actually do something worthwhile in this town!"
"Yes, this is does seem dubious to me. Though, my master wouldn't do anything if he though the risk was not worth it. Wouldn't you?" he replied, actually unsure if his master would do something that was...imprudent.
The fae ancestry on Varrys’ face showed.

“I need to partake in a challenge every once in a while. Some new material will help with sending a report back to the Assembly.”
"A challenge?! What kind of reasoning is that! Throwing away all you've built for a challenge, how reckless!"
"Great Wizard, sir!" A powerful voice bellowed from an alley between some stalls.

"I shall gladly join your adventure! Whatever needs to be done, I'm your dwarf!" he finally half-stated half-shouted, with an expression of someone who knew he should be a little embarrassed at causing a scene but was in fact completely unashamed, if not totally blind to anything else going on around him.
Hastria put her face into her hands.

"Oh, Bierstout, not you too..."
 

Grav

A confused leftist
Joined
Aug 31, 2019
Reaction score
510
Location
WA, U.S.A.
"You lizards and your alcohol. If you used even half of the time you spent drinking on something productive, you might actually do something worthwhile in this town!"


"A challenge?! What kind of reasoning is that! Throwing away all you've built for a challenge, how reckless!"

Hastria put her face into her hands.

"Oh, Bierstout, not you too..."
“All I’ve built will be taken away from me if I don’t produce a new report soon to the Assembly! I’ve been in a slump for months, Theo can attest to that. Repetitively sorting and organizing the books. This is something that the Assembly will find exciting, I must do it.”
 

Draco

Adida
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Reaction score
257
“All I’ve built will be taken away from me if I don’t produce a new report soon to the Assembly! I’ve been in a slump for months, Theo can attest to that. Repetitively sorting and organizing the books. This is something that the Assembly will find exciting, I must do it.”
"And what means do you have to make such a journey? Have you been preparing to abscond this whole time and told no one? Or were you going to take a handful of these unknown wands and saunter off into the woods without provisions or shelter? Is that the 'exciting' thing to do?"
 

Grav

A confused leftist
Joined
Aug 31, 2019
Reaction score
510
Location
WA, U.S.A.
"And what means do you have to make such a journey? Have you been preparing to abscond this whole time and told no one? Or were you going to take a handful of these unknown wands and saunter off into the woods without provisions or shelter? Is that the 'exciting' thing to do?"
Varrys calmed down and breathed, his normal voice coming back to him.

“You are correct, I was going to abscond. However it would have been left to Theo as I go on an expedition. But I realize my fallacy now. “

Varrys opened up an ale and sipped some.

“It’s just that I owe quite a sum to the Assembly for helping out with the Emporium.”
 

FriedCFour

PunishedCFour
Founder
Joined
Aug 11, 2019
Reaction score
5,095
Location
Mother Roof
"And what means do you have to make such a journey? Have you been preparing to abscond this whole time and told no one? Or were you going to take a handful of these unknown wands and saunter off into the woods without provisions or shelter? Is that the 'exciting' thing to do?"
Gambledorf, incensed at your pushing against his potential takers, replies, "if you hold no heart for adventure, I understand. The life of living and dying in a single village is one of simple pleasures and naivety. But do not stop others from taking a wider look at the world around them when opportunity is at hand. And to answer the questions of provision, I shall provide 10 pieces of gold with which to furnish yourselves upon agreement. Now, if the thought of adventure frightens you so, run along and make merry with your fellow villagers, and enjoy the simple, yet dull life that follows."
 

Draco

Adida
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Reaction score
257
Gambledorf, incensed at your pushing against his potential takers, replies, "if you hold no heart for adventure, I understand. The life of living and dying in a single village is one of simple pleasures and naivety. But do not stop others from taking a wider look at the world around them when opportunity is at hand. And to answer the questions of provision, I shall provide 10 pieces of gold with which to furnish yourselves upon agreement. Now, if the thought of adventure frightens you so, run along and make merry with your fellow villagers, and enjoy the simple, yet dull life that follows."
"I hold no heart for promises of riches from some...some crackpot old fool! Conjurer of cheap tricks! Luring men away from their homes with honeyed words, leaving wives and children behind to fend for themselves! How long would you keep them away for?! How many youths must grow without f-fathers?! W-Without..."
Hastria's words fail her as her composure falters, tears forming around her eyes. Her neighbors could recognize the hurt of those yet unhealed wounds coming to the surface once more.
 
Top Bottom